Monday, December 12, 2022

Dream Analysis and Freudian Theory

 

My Dream Analysis According to Freudian Theory


 

My dream began with Katie, one of my friends, plus her children and myself inside of Food Lion shopping.  However, nothing was in its normal place. I felt lost and frustrated while we were searching for cereal.  We were walking around with Katie pushing the basket, and her son was inside it.  Then we passed by a larger woman, who I did not recognize, but I believe she worked there.  For some unknown reason they began screaming at each other.  I was embarrassed and concerned that the fight would escalate.  Other people tried to stop the argument, but I took the basket and walked away.  She followed me and the argument ended.  We found the cereal aisle and saw the largest bag of fruit loops.  We were tempted to steal them.  I checked the price; it was listed for only $1.50.  I compared the tags to the listed price, seeing that the barcode had our names printed on them.  We began loading the cart with the bags.  I am not sure if we store the cereal or not.

            The dream transitioned to a vendor event, feeling like I have been there before.  I enjoyed looking at all the things, like crystals and crafts.   However, I was disappointed that I was too late for the door opening sale.  I was alone exploring, but then soon met up with Katie and her family.  Her husband was amazed looking at the hand-blown glass smoking pipes, and I felt nervous being over there.  I told Katie where her husband was, and mentioned to her that I was afraid he was going to break something.

            During the next part of my dream, I was at a party where I was planning to spend the night.  Each bed was numbered, also there was a lottery game happening.   If the number of your bed is called, you will win $500.  My bed, number 3 won.  Then, I noticed myself breaking out with a rash on my chest and face.  I thought it was an allergic reaction to something, until my other friend noticed it happening to her too.  It was like blisters, we decided that we had smallpox.  That is where my dream ended.

            Freud believed the dreams were the “royal road to the unconscious” (Corey, pg. 80).  The latent content, or the hidden symbols are the unconscious wishes, desires, and fears within a person.  These symbols are transferred into less traumatic material, called manifested content (pg. 80).  Dream interpretation and free association allows the client to openly say what comes to mind.  When the analyst can interpret the client’s dreams, it can bring insight to thoughts and feelings they may have repressed.  Freud had theories about dream analysis.  He reported that different ideas and concepts are represented in a single dream and can be condensed into a single thought or image.  Displacement refers to disguising the meanings of latent content by confusing the important aspects and the insignificant parts of the dream (Cherry, 2022).

            Dissecting my dream brought great insight to my life.  Using the Auntyflo website, I was able to research many thoughts and symbols within the manifested content of my dream.  Shopping with my best friend has many symbolic meanings.  Being with a friend could mean you need to better relate to people around you, it could indicate I needed some alone time, also I should follow my intuition.  Shopping in a grocery store is a common dream because it is a necessity in life.  This can symbolize a warning to pay more attention to personal wellbeing and possibly needing to change my lifestyle.  Cereal is considered grains, which according to AuntyFlo, there is a lot to unpack on this subject.  Bags with grains signify wealth.  I feel that I have enough, needing to remain humble.  Having many bags possibly says that I need to share my wealth and help others around me, especially in the community.  For my thoughts regarding stealing the cereal, this can signify a sense of helplessness or that I worry how to live day by day.  To witness my friend arguing with a stranger could be a form of transference, to experience feelings that are unconsciously available (Corey, pg. 82).  This tells me that I am under pressure from other people.  Or possibly something external is influencing my life and I need to move away from stress.  Being at the vendor event is something I enjoy.  According to Auntyflo, shopping in a mall can signify new things are coming, however, I need to focus on things I currently have.  For her husband to be looking at paraphernalia and myself to leave, brings insight to my sobriety.  In past dreams, I may have been more interested, or the dream moves into myself partaking in drug or alcohol use.  

            When my dream transitioned to the party, this was a bizarre twist.  According to Cherry (2022), this type of change in events is called a secondary revision that reorganizes my dream to make more sense.  I was not aware of the lottery until I was told that I won.  Researching the lottery on the Auntyflo site, they say that having the lottery involved in a dream means you have a desire to get rid of bad luck.  Also, by winning, I am making effective steps towards my goals.  It is said that winning with lower numbers (1-10) indicates a fresh start and I am acting rationally.  A spiritual meaning of the lottery in your dreams means that you need to ask yourself what parts of your life need improvement.  Also, the lottery can be a warning about a risky endeavor that may have bad results or that my wishes are unrealistic.  For my dream to end with myself and a friend catching smallpox, could mean I am experiencing an unexpected event.  A disease symbolizes fear, anxiety, and crisis in confidence.  Specifically, to have a visual contagious disease means that everything seems like a blur right now.

            I understand why Freud used dream analysis as a technique to get inside of his client’s consciousness.  One dream alone showed me multiple signs and symbols that I can currently relate to.  I can understand the interpretations about my friendship, concerns about wealth and health, feeling pressure from other people to provide and perform, and myself feeling helpless.  I am trying to overcome my difficulties, although everything seems like a blur.  It also leads my mind to be open and wonder what kind of unexpected event that I could expect.  Even mentally preparing myself.  Dreams are how we cope with problems the mind is struggling with subconsciously and by analyzing these dreams, it can help us understand our behaviors and feelings.

 

Cherry, K. (2022, February 9). Dream interpretation: What do dreams mean? Verywell Mind.  

https://www.verywellmind.com/dream-interpretation-what-do-dreams-mean-2795930

Corey, G. (2012). Student Manual for Corey’s Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy. Cengage Learning.

Dream Dictonary. (2021). Auntyflo.  https://www.auntyflo.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment